If you are interested in straightening your teeth but would do anything to avoid wearing metal brackets and braces, we’ve got good news for you. Invisalign, clear braces for adults and teens, offers a wonderful alternative. Instead of visible metal hardware affixed permanently onto the teeth, Invisalign uses clear, removable plastic trays to bring your teeth into the proper alignment. It’s a convenient, comfortable, discreet option — learn more about Invisalign in Carlsbad from Dr. Megan Shelton!
How Invisalign Works
Invisalign works using the same orthodontic principles as traditional metal braces. The clear, plastic trays place focused pressure on specific areas of the bite throughout treatment, gradually bringing them into the proper position.
To set you up with Invisalign, Dr. Shelton will examine your teeth and, according to your specific needs, put a treatment plan in place. Impressions, and photographs of your dentition are sent to the Invisalign lab, where your trays are created from clear, durable plastic and shipped back to you. You can begin treatment immediately.
Use each tray for two weeks before switching to the next in the series. You should wear Invisalign for 20 to 22 hours each day, removing them to brush and floss and before meals or snacks.
Unlike with traditional metal braces, there is little discomfort associated with Invisalign. The only thing you are likely to feel throughout treatment is the slight soreness that occurs as your teeth gradually move into better alignment.
A Day In the Life With Invisalign
Wondering what it’s like to live with Invisalign? Imagine with us that you’re halfway through your treatment — in the routine and enjoying the gradual progress you have already noticed.
- 8:00 am: Wake up, eat breakfast, and rinse your aligners before or after brushing your teeth. You sleep wearing Invisalign, so you will want to make sure you thoroughly clean them before beginning your day.
- 8:30 am: You can drink cold still water and sparkling water wearing Invisalign, but if you drink coffee, make sure you have removed your trays. Hot liquids warp the plastic and dark coffee stains.
- 10:00 am: Important meeting? Speak and smile with confidence thanks to invisible orthodontics.
- 12:00 pm: Remove Invisalign trays to eat lunch. Rinse the trays and brush your teeth before putting them back in.
- 3:00 pm: Snack time! Take our your Invisalign trays and crunch away on your favorite foods — there is no need to modify your diet with removable orthodontics.
- 7:00 pm: Remove your trays for dinner, rinsing them and brushing your teeth before resuming treatment.
- 10:00 pm: Your day is complete! Thoroughly brush and floss your teeth and clean your Invisalign trays using the special cleanser. With proper care and maintenance, your teeth remain healthy and strong throughout the Invisalign treatment.
Most adults and older teens are eligible for the Invisalign treatment. On average, each Invisalign case lasts just one year!
Schedule an Appointment Today!
Are you interested in joining the adults who are benefitting from subtle orthodontic treatment? Contact your dentist in Carlsbad to discuss the Invisalign treatment! Request an appointment at Polished General Dentistry today.