A great smile is one of your best assets. Studies have shown time and time again that a smile makes you feel happier, has the power to change how other people perceive you, and even stimulates more “pleasure-centers” in your brain than chocolate! But what if you don’t feel so great about your smile because you’ve lost some or all of your teeth? Not only is your oral health affected, but it’s very common to feel less self-confident as well. Since confidence affects every area of your life, it’s worth it to do anything you can to restore it – along with a healthy, beautiful smile. Luckily, dental implants can do both. Find out more below!
How Can Implants Restore Your Confidence?
Implants are the closest thing to your own natural teeth – both in function and appearance. Many patients’ only regret after getting them is that they didn’t get them sooner!
Here’s how they can help you:
- You can have a conversation without worrying that they’ll shift or move like dentures can.
- You don’t have to give up any hard or tough foods. That means you won’t have to pass up any occasions like enjoying steak with your friends the way you might with other replacement options.
- Dental implants help you look and feel younger. They feel so natural that you may forget you lost any teeth to begin with!
- They can last decades with basic care and maintenance, so you won’t deal with the hassle, expense or embarrassment of needing ongoing adjustments like you can with a denture or bridge.
What Is the Process Like?
Here are the basic steps an implant dentist will take:
- The first step is a small surgery that replaces the root of your missing tooth with a surgical-grade titanium post. This is much easier than many people expect and generally takes between 1-2 hours.
- Then it usually takes 3-6 months for the post to fully integrate with your jaw. You’ll be able to function normally during this time, so your daily activities won’t be impacted much, if at all.
- Once the implant has fused with your jaw, the crown or denture will be attached to it. This part of the restoration will be matched precisely in shape, size and color to the rest of your smile so that it looks and feels completely natural.
You might be surprised at just how much implants can impact your entire life. The power of being able to smile, laugh, chew and speak with ease shouldn’t be underestimated!
About the Author
Dr. Megan Shelton is a general, cosmetic and implant dentist who firmly believes that good oral health goes hand-in-hand with a positive self-image. She loves being able to restore her patient’s hope that they can feel good about their smile again and knows that dental implants are a great way to do that. If you have any questions, she can be contacted through her website or at (760) 434-9800.