Tooth loss is more common than you may think, even amongst the most famous people in the world. Fortunately, with modern dental technology there are several different tooth replacement options to choose from depending on your individual needs. A favorite amongst dentists and patients alike is dental implants. Continue reading to learn more about the benefits of this modern tooth replacement option as well as some celebrities who have them today.
What Are Dental Implants?
Dental implant surgery consists of replacing the natural root of a missing tooth with a titanium post. It is inserted directly into the jawbone and a new replacement tooth is placed on the end of the post. During the healing process, the titanium implant fuses with the jawbone in a process called osseointegration. After this, the implant acts as a natural tooth, giving patients their smile back.
What Are the Benefits of Dental Implants?
Implants have a lot that they can offer patients. Here’s just a small handful of advantages:
- Improved oral health: This is the only tooth replacement option that replaces the natural root of the tooth, therefore preventing jawbone deterioration. It also keeps other teeth from moving around and filling the empty space where your natural tooth once was. When your teeth remain aligned, it is easier to clean them properly.
- Better appearance: Implants are custom-made to match the exact size, shape, and color needed for a natural looking smile. Having an improved appearance means an improved self-esteem.
- Easier eating and speech: When you’re missing teeth, eating your favorite foods and speaking clearly can be difficult. With dental implants, you have no eating restrictions and speaking is made much easier.
Which Celebrities Have Dental Implants?
Here are a few celebrities that have opted for dental implants as a tooth replacement option:
- Mike Tyson: His boxing career left him with a few missing teeth that were then replaced with dental implants.
- Christie Brinkley: She was involved in a helicopter crash that left her with two broken molars. They were replaced with dental implants afterwards.
- Ed Helms: Have you ever wondered how his missing tooth in “The Hangover” looked so realistic? Because he had dental implant surgery years back, he simply had his replacement tooth removed for the shoot.
- Chris Rock: Due to dental issues he had when he was younger, Chris Rock can attribute his smile to both dental implants and porcelain veneers.
With so many benefits, it’s no wonder that dental implants have become so popular throughout the years. If you are missing teeth, ask your dentist if you would be a good candidate for dental implants. You will have your fully functional smile back in no time!
About the Author
Dr. Megan A. Shelton provides different tooth replacement options, including dental implants, at her practice in Carlsbad, CA. She earned her Doctor of Dental Medicine from the University of Louisville School of Dentistry and is a member of multiple professional organizations including the American Dental Association and the American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry. For more information on dental implants or to schedule a consultation, visit her website or call (760) 388-6773.