Without a doubt, dental implant placement is the best way to replace any number of missing teeth. Before you have the procedure done, though, you need to find the right dentist to work with. If that seems easier said than done, you’re not by yourself in expressing this sentiment, as many patients face the same dilemma. Thankfully, there is help available. Continue reading to discover how to find the best implant dentist to meet your needs!
Understanding the Dental Implant Process
Dental implantation has a 95% success rate, which can partly be attributed to the careful approach that dentists take. It starts with a thorough examination, which allows the dentist to assess your oral health and to measure your jawbone density. If there are issues discovered in either area, you’ll need to receive restorative care before continuing with implant insertion.
Once the dentist has determined that it’s safe to proceed with the treatment, it will begin with the surgical placement of a titanium post into the jawbone. After you’ve healed sufficiently and the implant has fused with the existing bone, an abutment will be added. It will allow the final restoration to be securely attached.
The Traits Your Implant Dentist Should Possess
To ensure you have the best experience possible, here are some of the traits to look for in a prospective implant dentist:
- Postgraduate training – While all dentists undergo a rigorous educational process, the learning process never ends. The dentist you work with should have a history of pursuing continuing education to further expand his or her knowledge and skillset.
- Experience – You don’t want to be the first patient the dentist has performed dental implantation for. Make sure he or she is experienced with working with patients with varying dental health situations.
- Positive reviews – What do other patients have to say about the dentist? This can be a great indicator of the type of service you can expect to receive.
- Patience – Having dental implants placed is a major life decision. The dentist you work with should be understanding and willing to answer any of your questions so you can feel comfortable about moving forward with treatment.
- A positive attitude – When you’re in the dentist’s presence, do you get a positive vibe? Pay attention to your intuition. If you don’t feel comfortable with the dentist, staff or office environment, there’s nothing wrong with looking elsewhere.
Taking the First Step
Instead of speculating, you can get the process started by contacting an implant dentist to schedule a visit. While you’re there, take the above information into account so you can get the most out of your appointment. With the right research and some initiative, you’ll find the perfect professional to place your dental implants and restore your life to normal!
About the Author
A graduate of the University of Louisville School of Dentistry, Dr. Megan A. Shelton is a dentist who loves to solve complex problems to help her patients experience excellent oral health and regain a normal way of life. To continue to expand her knowledge, she has taken several hours of postgraduate education, and she maintains professional membership with the American Academy of Oral Systematic Health. Dr. Shelton rebuilds smiles by placing dental implants at Polished General Dentistry, and she can be reached for more information or to schedule a visit through her website.