iTero Intraoral Scanner
No More Messy Manual Impressions
For the longest time, dentists had no choice but to use manual impressions. The process was uncomfortable for patients and did not always produce reliable results. Today, many dentists, including the ones at Polished General Dentistry in Carlsbad, have upgraded to something better. We use the advanced iTero intraoral scanner. This remarkable piece of dental technology allows us to make sure our patients experience only the best care that modern dentistry has to offer. On this page, you’ll learn more about the iTero scanner and how it can take your care to the next level.
What Is the iTero Intraoral Scanner Used For?
The iTero scanner captures detailed, three-dimensional images of patients’ mouths. These images can be used for a number of applications, including the creation of crowns, bridges, and other restorations. However, the scanner’s most notable application is its usefulness in the Invisalign process.
In order for Invisalign treatment to be successful, the aligners must be snug but not too tight. Any missteps in the design process could lead to significant delays and extra costs. The iTero intraoral scanner is extremely precise and helps to eliminate such issues. It even has open architecture software, which makes it easy for us to share patient impressions with the Invisalign laboratory. The software also has an Invisalign Outcome Simulator, which can help you picture the results of your treatment well before you put that first aligner in your mouth.
Benefits of the iTero Scanner
Some of the iTero scanner’s most outstanding benefits include:
- The scanning process does not require patients to hold an uncomfortable manual impression tray in their mouth.
- Because the iTero works so quickly, it can make appointments up to 20 minutes shorter.
- Thanks to its compatibility with Invisalign, the iTero scanner streamlines the orthodontics process and results in seven times fewer rejections from Invisalign.
- It is easy for our team to share your scan results with other local dental professionals if we ever have to refer you to a specialist.
- iTero helps both patients and dentists see a visual representation of projected treatment outcomes for Invisalign.
- The scanner reduces waste. It saves us from having to package, label, and ship manual impressions to a laboratory.
- Other digital impression systems require that a messy powder be put on teeth. The iTero process is powder-free.
- The iTero wand is quite small, so there is a minimal risk that patients will gag on it.
How It Works
The machine has a small, pen-like wand that we simply move around a patient’s mouth. It captures thousands of frames per second and assembles them into a three-dimensional representation of the mouth. The images go to a nearby computer, and the iTero software lets us know if the scan is of a high enough quality to be used for Invisalign or other purposes.
After the scan, we send its results, along with detailed notes, to the appropriate party. Then, all you have to do is wait while your team of dental professionals gets the ball rolling on your treatment, whether it is Invisalign, a crown, or another type of restoration.